Investors in SEIS/EIS qualifying companies can, depending on their individual circumstances and the company’s compliance with rules governing SEIS and EIS, enjoy some or all of the following tax advantages:
You should always take your own tax advice before deciding whether to invest.
- SEIS/EIS relief (currently 50% for SEIS and 30% for EIS of the amount of the investment) against income tax liability in the year of investment, subject to an ability to carry back relief to the immediately preceding year in certain circumstances.
- Exemption from Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on the disposal of SEIS/EIS shares in SEIS/EIS Qualifying Companies after a three year holding period, provided that disqualifying events have not occurred.
- Unlimited deferral of capital gains from the previous three years or the subsequent 12 months.
- Income tax or CGT relief for a loss on disposal of EIS shares; and
- Inheritance tax exemption after two years.